The International Astronautical Federation (IAF) is pleased to announce its 2021 IAF Young Space Leaders Recognition Programme that will provide opportunities to recognize students and young professionals who are demonstrating exceptional leadership in their academics or early careers.
The IAF is soliciting nominations for the 2021 IAF Young Space Leaders Recognition Programme from IAF Members, Regional groups and Technical and Administrative Committees on students and young professionals between the ages of 21 to 35 years who are:
- Contributing to astronautics through their academic and/or professional activities;
- Reaching out to other young people and to their community to share knowledge and experience;
- Engaging colleagues in the international space community;
- Contributing to the work of IAF committees and/or volunteering in support of other Federation activities such as physical or virtual participation on selection activities related to IAF grants, Next Generation Plenary and awards; participation in the organization of IAC technical sessions and other activities; and participation on local organizing committees for GLEC, GLAC and other IAF meetings. (Note: Attendance at International Astronautical Congress does not in itself qualify)
Nominations should contain:
- A nomination letter, from an IAF member organization, an IAF Technical Committee or IAF Administrative Committee, summarizing the nominee’s qualifications and specifying how the nominee meets the criteria (please download the template on Nomination Letter Template)
- Two letters of recommendation addressing the contributions and engagement of the nominee.
The 2021 IAF Young Space Leaders will be selected by the Federation’s Young Space Leaders Selection Subcommittee in consultation with the IAF President during March 2021. The Federation will notify the nominating organizations of those selected and subsequently the selectees themselves no later than May 1, 2021.
IAF Young Space Leaders will be inducted at the 72nd International Astronautical Congress (IAC) on October 25 – 29, 2021, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, at the Closing Ceremony. They will attend the IAC Gala Dinner as guests of the IAF President. Although travel expenses to attend the IAC will not be provided by the IAF, the IAC registration fee will be waived. Nominators are encouraged to help identify sources of funding for their nominee if he/she is selected.
In the year following their induction, IAF Young Space Leaders will:
- Be featured in an IAF newsletter and on the IAF website, contributing a short summary of their experience and achievements and their perspectives on space and international cooperation, including the role of the IAF.
- Participate in a virtual event to communicate with other young people about these topics and the benefits they have received from their involvement in the IAF and attendance at IACs, and highlight the opportunities available to students and young professionals at the upcoming IAC.
- Mentor the Emerging Space Leaders who receive IAF grants to attend the IAC in Dubai.
Please, send the nomination material before February 10, 2021, 15:00 CET (Paris time), to the IAF Secretariat, preferably by email at email@example.com (Subject line: NOMINEE’S LAST NAME Nominee’s First Name-2021 YSL).
If email is not available, the reference can be sent by postal mail to:
Attention: 2021 IAF Young Space Leaders Recognition Programme
100 Avenue de Suffren