The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is looking to hire a Senior Software Developer on a permanent basis. The successful candidate will be part of a development team building the MeerKAT and the MeerKAT Extension telescopes’ Science Data Processors. Senior software developers research, analyse and evaluate requirements for existing or new software applications and operating systems, and design, develop, test and maintain software solutions to meet these requirements. In addition, they may be expected to guide and work with more junior team members to accomplish their tasks.
- Research and propose new technologies, systems, methods or approaches, to utilise them within the organisation;
- Develop, test, and maintain software systems and components;
- Participate in documenting and refining system requirements, and designing and implementing solutions;
- Continuously contribute to the software and system quality assurance and control processes;
- Provide technical support to escalate queries regarding systems functionality or changes;
- Contribute to systems design and architecture;
- Support and contribute to the requirements for computing infrastructure;
- Participate in agile project management activities; and
- Mentorship, development and guidance of junior team members.
- B-Tech/BSc/BEng Computer Science, Information Communication Technology, Electrical Engineering or related fields;
- At least seven years of software development experience;
- Experience developing software and systems in Python, or other imperative languages
GPU software development, preferably using CUDA;
- Experience in systems analysis, engineering or design;
- Experience working with formal project management and agile practices and methods;
- Experience working with data processing or data-intensive backend systems;
- Knowledge, experience or specialisation in implementing specialist technology and computing modules, e.g. large-scale computing, high-performance computing, architecture, algorithms and patterns, parallel computing, computer systems optimisation, etc.;
- Experience integrating and configuring various software technologies and hardware;
- Experience in technology research, technology development and maturation towards production readiness.
- Ability to effectively transfer knowledge and skills to other team members;
- Ability to mentor, guide and further develop junior team members;
- A precise and methodical approach to problem-solving;
- High attention to detail, excellent organisation skills; and
- Good communication skills, written and verbal.
Applicants are to submit a comprehensive CV here before 14 October 2022. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants are to provide at least three referees’ names and contact details.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will align with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will only send correspondence to short-listed candidates.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.