The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) is recruiting a Senior Software developer on a permanent contract. The successful candidate will join the team at the facility in Cape Town, Western Cape, to research, analyse and evaluate requirements for existing or new software applications and operating systems and design, develop, test and maintain software solutions, amongst other things.
- Research and propose new technologies, systems, and methods, to utilise them within the organisation;
- Develop, test, and maintain software systems and components;
- Participate in the documentation and refinement of system requirements, design and implementation solutions;
- contribute to the software and system quality assurance and control processes;
- Provide technical support to escalate queries regarding systems functionality or changes;
- Contribute to systems design and architecture;
- Support and contribute to the requirements for computing infrastructure;
- Participate in agile project management activities; and
- Mentorship, development and guidance of junior team members.
- B-Tech/BSc/BEng Computer Science, Information Communication Technology, Electrical Engineering or related; and
- Software development with 7+ years.
- Substantial experience developing software and systems in Python or other imperative languages;
- Substantial programming experience with GPU software development, preferably using CUDA;
- Experience with systems analysis, engineering or design;
- Experience working with formal project management and agile practices and methods;
- Work experience in data processing or data-intensive backend systems;
- Knowledge in implementing specialist technology and computing modules(large-scale computing, high-performance computing, architecture, algorithms and patterns, parallel computing, computer systems optimisation);
- Experience integrating and configuring various software technologies and hardware; and
- Experience working in technology research, development and maturation towards production readiness Knowledge.
The applicant should have the following abilities:
- Effectively transfer knowledge and skills to other team members;
- Mentor and develop junior team members;
- Troubleshoot problems methodically;
- Keen attention to detail;
- Excellent organisation skills; and
- Good oral and written communication skills;
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV here before 05 December 2022. Furthermore, applicants should include a letter of motivation indicating their suitability for the position in their applications. In addition, the applicants must provide at least three referees’ names and contact details.
South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) offers a challenging career and a competitive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and experience. Also, the NRF is committed to employment equity and redress, and appointments to the position will align with the NRF Employment Equity Plan. In addition, the NRF reserves the right not to make an appointment and will send correspondence to short-listed candidates only.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.