The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) has the following positions available: systems engineer, head of hosting, and two antenna technicians. The positions are of fixed-contracts, full-time, and fixed contract respectively. In addition, the antenna technician positions are in Krugersdorp, Gauteng, while the other two positions are in Cape Town, Western Cape.
Successful candidates will assist with the antenna maintenance, upgrades and manufacturing of custom parts used on the radio telescopes. This will ensure the radio telescopes can operate 24/7 by providing technical support for the scientific productivity of the observatory. This includes but is not limited to following and updating maintenance procedures, responding to emergency call out. Furthermore, it includes servicing cryogenic and vacuum systems, developing and manufacturing mechanical systems in use at the observatory.
- Possess practical knowledge and experience in mechanical engineering manufacturing, installation, testing and maintenance of mechanical systems;
- Carry out maintenance on the antennas at the Hartebeesthoek site;
- Assist with manufacturing components to specification and within tolerance based on drawings you receive for that purpose;
- Assist with maintenance planning schedules for the antennas at the Hartebeesthoek site; and
- Provide practical support relating to mechanical manufacturing, installation testing, maintenance and upgrades on the antennas and other scientific instruments.
- National Diploma or N6 in Mechanical Engineering with completed Fitter and Turner trade test; and
- Two years experience in the similar role
- Maintenance of mechanical systems;
- Crane usage;
- Site safety;
- In service troubleshooting and resolution;
- Standard and specialised machinery: lathes, milling machines, welding equipment, spray painting equipment, bending, drilling and cutting machines; and
- Drawing interpretation/draughting.
- In-depth knowledge of mechanical systems, vacuum systems, helium/cryogenic systems;
- Truck-mounted crane operators certificate (Truck mounted crane Code C32);
- Working at heights certificate;
- Truck driver’s license (Code EC old code 14 with PDP cat G); and
- First aid level 1.
The successful candidate will execute the systems engineering during the design, construction, and commissioning of the SKA Science Processing Centre and co-located operations and administrative facilities in Cape Town and the SKA Engineering Operations Centre and co-located facilities at Klerefontein, Northern Cape.
- To advance the maturity of two essential science and engineering facilities from concept designs to operational facilities by applying recognised systems engineering competence and skills;
- Establishing baselines and design configurations, including preparing and implementing engineering changes to the baselines;
- Performing detailed engineering analysis and synthesis of alternative solutions derived from unclear or vague specifications;
- Addressing the speciality engineering and “ilities” of systems design for the two centres and their co-located facilities;
- Planning and executing assembly, integration and verification of complicated sub-systems, both in the laboratory and field;
- Reviewing and integrating multiple activity reports into system-level analysis and reports to ensure quality and integrity of results and recommendations; and
- Provide ‘field engineering” services after delivery to aid in fault diagnostics and rectification.
- B.Eng/B.Sc (Eng) with 4+ years relevant experience; OR
- M.Eng with 3+ years relevant experience; OR
- PhD/D.Eng with 1+ years relevant experience.
- Infrastructure design, development and delivery, with a focus on data centres;
- Applied systems engineering across the multiple lifecycle stages of a system or product, at all levels up to user systems (L6) of the system’s hierarchy;
- Integration, test and verification of complicated systems;
- Use of Computer-aided systems Engineering Tools (e.g. CORE);
- Application and control of systems engineering processes and procedures;
- Baseline establishment and management; and
- Change control.
- Recognised domain knowledge of systems engineering in computing infrastructure and technology, based on theoretical aspects and experience in systems engineering methods, procedures, tools and techniques;
- Configuration management and configuration management systems;
- Systems Engineering Standards, e.g. ISO/IEC/IEEE 15288 & 15289;
- Quality assurance systems (ISO 9001); and
- Knowledge of the PFMA and related procurement regulations.
Head of hosting
The successful candidate will ensure the delivery of South Africa’s commitments regarding hosting the SKA telescope.
- Ensuring the acquisition through appropriate agreements and long-term land management to enable the construction and operation of the SKA telescope;
- Ensuring secured access to land owned or managed by SARAO;
- Acquisition of all relevant permits, licenses and other approvals necessary to construct and operate the SKA in the Northern Cape Province;
- Working in consultation with other stakeholders, implementing appropriate mechanisms and systems to enable monitoring and evaluation of compliance with all relevant permits, licenses and approvals;
- Ensuring a sustainable approach to hosting the SKA in the Karoo shall include the delivery of spatial planning functions for strategic decision making and enhanced organisational operations and the delivery of sustainable land management practices;
- Ensure delivery of defined assets and infrastructure, including buildings and data processing centres, to the SKA Observatory for utilisation under appropriate agreement(s);
- Ensure the establishment and ongoing radio frequency protection of a radio astronomy reserve through proper national and international policy, legislation and regulations, and related activities that promote increased stakeholder buy-in and support;
- Maintain excellent internal and external stakeholder relations whilst resolving conflicting stakeholder expectations and requirements; and
- Providing support to the Deputy Managing Director in matters related to hosting the SKA in South Africa.
- Bachelors’ degree in an engineering, built-environment or public administration related field + 12 years experience with seven years in a similar management role OR;
- National diploma in engineering, built-environment or public administration related field + 15 years experience with seven years in a similar management role;
- A post-graduate degree will be advantageous/.
- Public sector supply chain management and the Public Finance Management Act, and an excellent understanding thereof;
- Government legislation and regulatory requirements applicable to the construction sector (Occupational Health and Safety Act, Environmental Management Act, Construction Industry Development Board Act and regulations, National Water Act, Minerals & Petroleum Resources Development Act amongst others), and a good understanding thereof;
- Working with South African government departments and processes;
- Infrastructure delivery;
- Project management and project processes (i.e. System Engineering; configuration management; logistical support; Supply Chain Management); and
- Working with the telecommunication and spectrum management sector
- Project management;
- System engineering and acquisition management;
- Environmental management;
- Contract management; and
- Spectrum management.
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV by logging in to this link and applying online. Applicants should also submit a letter of motivation indicating the applicant’s suitability for the position. Furthermore, applicants should provide the names and contact details of at least three referees.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.