The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) has an opening for a full stack software developer in its Earth Observation Programme situated in Pretoria, Gauteng.
The role is to be filled by an individual with the relevant skills, drive, competencies, qualifications and who puts the interests of the nation first, has a commercial mind-set, thinks like our customers, is knowledge-driven and people-centric.
Reporting to the Chief Data Systems, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for the design and creation of scalable software solutions through front-and-back end coding, developing servers and databases for website architecture and functionality. The technical functions of the software developer are to enable the building of Earth observation (and geospatial) digital platforms, such as Digital Earth South Africa: a digital platform through which users can interact with Earth Observation (EO) data and a solution to store, organize, manage and analyze EO data. It is based on the Open Data Cube, an Open Source EODC solution. And online satellite data catalogues, through which users can interact (discover, access and analyse) the decades of satellite data in the SANSA Earth Observation archives.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications, experience, and skills:
- BSc Honours Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) or similar fields or equivalent experience
- 8 years experience developing software and systems in Python or other imperative languages
- 8 years of experience working with Geospatial data, satellite image processing, models, systems and
- Developing software with and on behalf of scientific stakeholders
- Proven experience in design, development, and testing of software applications for the delivery of
robust solutions on Linux platforms• Demonstrated ability to apply advanced Python and Linux Shell programming knowledge to achieve high-quality software solutions
- Spatial application design and implementation
- GUI and UX design and development
- High-Performance Computing
- Relational and/or non-relational databases
- Delivery of robust workflow testing and automation
- Experience designing and implementing Cloud-based solutions
- Familiarity with common stacks
Angular, React, Node.js)
- Familiarity with databases (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB), web servers (e.g. Apache) and UI/UX design
- Project Management systems
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Management of Full Life-Cycle Software Development
- Web Applications Development and Creation of Custom Software Solutions
- Technical Analysis
- Technical Collaboration
Please NOTE that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Background verification, including criminal record, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks, presentation or practical testing, as well as competency assessment psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
SANSA subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities. In order to subscribe to these principles, preference will be given to female candidates for this role.
Closing date: 26 March 2021
Should you meet the above requirements, please register your detailed CV at https://jb.skillsmapafrica.com. Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants have not heard from us within four weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful.