Applications for the 5th African Space Generation Workshop (5th AF-SGW) are now open. The event, themed “Building a Self-Sustaining African Space Sector, is set to hold from the 26-27th of November in Stellenbosch, Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa, as a hybrid event. Applications close on the 30th of September 2021.
The two-day hybrid workshop brings together students, young professionals, industry experts and government stakeholders from across Africa to interact and discuss innovations and regional challenges related to the African space sector. In addition, the event provides excellent opportunities for future African space industry leaders to network, exchange ideas, learn and collaborate on space innovations for the continent’s benefit. Furthermore, participants will be divided into working groups (WGs), each focusing on a specific sub-theme broadly covering Technology, Entrepreneurship, Policy and Capacity Building. The AF-SGW will be held the weekend before the 1st IAA African Symposium on Small Satellites, from the 29th of November to the 2nd of December 2021, in Stellenbosch, South Africa.
Who Can Attend?
The event is open to students and young professionals between the ages of 18-35 (as of November 2021) who are residents or citizens of African countries and are passionate about the space industry. Nonetheless, space enthusiasts from around the world are encouraged to participate. Applicants can be from any discipline.
All discussions from the working groups are expected to produce recommendations to relevant public, private, and non-governmental sectors, helping to shape the future of the African space industry. Consequently, the workshop’s reports and recommendations will be presented at high-level conferences and included in the SGAC annual report submitted to the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UN COPUOS).
Depending on the COVID-19 situation, the event could become entirely virtual. In this instance, onsite delegate registrations will be automatically converted to virtual registrations, and the relevant delegates refunded the difference.
Application and Key Dates:
- Applications open: 6th September
- Applications close: 30th September 23:59 GMT
- Application review: 1st October- 10th October
- Results publication and registration opened for accepted delegates: 11th October
- Registration closes for accepted delegates: 24th October 2021
- Registration opens for waiting list applications: 25th October 2021
Applications will be evaluated based on your motivation to attend the 5th AF-SGW, ability to contribute to the event, depth of experience, passion for space, and gender equality.
Successful applicants will receive an email with further instructions and information on how to pay for registration.
Applicants must be:
- A member of SGAC
- Students or young professionals between the age of 18 to 35 as of 26th November 2021
Note: Female applications are highly encouraged.
How to Apply
To apply for the 5th African Space Generation Workshop, kindly check here.
- You must be an SGAC member to access the registration form.
- Registration for SGAC membership is free.
- If you are not an SGAC member, register here.
- Suppose you are already an SGAC member and have problems completing specific fields (e.g. date of birth, nationality, etc.) during registration, try updating your SGAC profile first.
- If you have any other issues relating to registration, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The deadline for applications for the 5th AF-SGW is 30th September 2021.
- Successful applicants will be contacted by 10th October 2021.
5th AF-SGW Registration Fees
|Accepted delegates will receive a confirmation email with a link to proceed to the payment portal.
Virtual Delegate Registration Fee: USD 20
Virtual delegates will receive access to the workshop’s conferencing platform through which:
|Onsite Delegate Registration: USD 50
Onsite delegates will receive:
Optional Onsite Networking Event: USD 15
The onsite networking event will hold in Stellenbosch on the evening of the 26th of November and will start at 18:00. The fee above will cover:
- Welcoming drink and
For any questions related to delegates, please contact email@example.com.
For more information, please visit here.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.