The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) has a mandate, as outlined in the South African National Space Agency Act, 2008 (Act No 36 of 2008), to co-ordinate and integrate national space science and technology programmes and conduct long-term planning and implementation of space-related activities in South Africa, for the benefit of the citizens of South Africa.
SANSA has the following opportunities within the Space Science Programme situated in Hermanus, Western Cape to be filled by individual(s) with the relevant skills, drive, competencies and qualifications. The Space Science Programme includes space science research, ground-based monitoring infrastructure, operational space weather, technology development and applications.
SANSA is seeking hardworking and dynamic South African citizens to fill the following positions (two positions are available) based in Hermanus Western Cape:
POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS (3-year contract positions)
The ideal candidates will have:
- A PhD obtained within the last 3 years (or will be submitting their PhD thesis for examination before Feb 2022);
- PhD should be in a space physics-related field or is a support field to space physics (such as Computer Science, Solar Physics or Applied Mathematics);
- Preference will be given to candidates who would like to pursue space weather research for their postdoctoral projects in areas such as navigation and/or communication applications, and radiation exposure due to space weather events;
- Independent computer programming skills with a preference for Python; and
- The ability to work independently and as part of the team.
The candidate should be
- A South African citizen (or permanent resident); and
- Available to start the contract before 1 April 2022.
Duties (not limited to this list)
- Research in a space weather research-related field;
- Data Analysis and Modelling;
- Intern mentoring;
- Contract research; and
- Science Advancement.
Projects will be tailored to individuals, depending on skills and interest and are not limited to any specific topic mentioned, however, they must fit into the space science thematic areas. Also, kindly NOTE that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. In addition, background verification, including criminal records, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
SANSA subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities. Consequently, preference will be given to candidates in accordance with this.
Should you meet the above requirements, please apply by logging into https://jb.skillsmapafrica.com and attaching your detailed CV including a copy of Doctoral Thesis Abstract and PhD certificate (if already received).
Closing date: 07 January 2022
Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.