Do you have an idea on how to use space to achieve the sustainable development goals? Participate in the space for youth competition and share your vision!
To support the first priority of the ‘Youth 2030’ strategy, namely “Engagement, Participation and Advocacy to Amplify youth voices for the promotion of a peaceful, just and sustainable world”, the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) decided to launch this Space for Youth Competition together with the Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC).
This is your chance to have your voice heard at the international space community level at large and to show how the next generation of students and young professionals can contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals through space applications.
- This competition is open to all students and young professionals from any Member States of the United Nations.
- All participants shall be aged between 18 to 35 inclusive (up to the day of your 36th birthday) as of 1 February 2018.
- The competition is open to individuals – team submissions are not allowed.
The competition is open till 22 March 2019.
Competition and Award
There will be a total of 17 winners to this competition (1 for each SDG). The winners will get opportunities to :
- Your entry will be part of a report circulated to delegates from all over the world attending the Committee on Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (COPUOS), the UN intergovernmental body for international cooperation in space affairs, in Vienna, Austria, on 12 – 21 June 2019).
- Your paper will be presented at the side event on Space for Youth during the Sixty-second session of COPUOS ( in the form of a video or in person (no guaranteed funding for travel/accommodation to attend the side event on Space for Youth and the Sixty-second session of the Committee).
- Your video will be featured on UNOOSA social-media and on the SGAC website.
- You will receive a certificate of achievement from UNOOSA.
*All submissions shall be made by 22 March, 23:59 GMT for the 1st Round. Any submissions after the deadlines will not be considered.
Visit the competition webpage for more information.