This travel fellowship is structured to support travel costs (airfare, ground transport in Rwanda and possible ground transport if living more than 50 km from an international airport), accommodation and registration fees to attend conferences of AARSE or IEEE-GRSS in the field of Earth Observation by remote sensing. Beneficiaries of the fellowships shall be African scientists or students who have had a paper accepted for oral or poster presentation at the AARSE biennial or IGARSS annual conferences. Up to six scholarships will be given.
- An application form and all supporting documents, including an extended abstract (up to two pages), have been received by the Evaluation Committee by 31 May 2020.
- The recipient shall have submitted a full paper for the conference for platform or poster presentation per the deadlines and the formatting style set by the conference organisers.
- The recipient is a citizen of an African country whose current place of residence is in Africa at the time of the application.
- The recipient must be a registered member of AARSE or IEEE-GRSS by 31 August 2020.
- Preference will be given to young and mid-career professionals (within 10 years of the award of doctoral degree). The professional status (student, lecturer, professor) shall otherwise not be a basis for exclusion.
- The recipient has not previously received an award of one of these fellowships.
- Applicants shall submit the attached application form, supported by the following documents:
- A copy of the applicant’s CV
- An extended abstract (up to two pages, ~1,000 words maximum) of the conference presentation
- A letter of motivation and commitment. This letter shall include:
- A declaration that the applicant has not previously been awarded an IEEE GRSS/AARSE Travel Fellowship.
- A commitment that the applicant will acknowledge sponsorship in their presentation, and any publication resulting directly from the conference presentation, with words: “The author acknowledges financial support through an IEEE GRSS/AARSE TRAVEL FELLOWSHIP”.
- Exclusions: The support package will not include any cash disbursements on site. Meal expenses other than provided as part of the conference registration and other incidental expenses will be for the applicant’s account. Cost of applying for a passport will be for the applicant’s account. Costs of visa applications may be considered depending on funding availability and employment/student status of the applicant.
To allow adequate time for evaluation, visa applications and travel arrangements, the Evaluation Committee will make provisional awards by 31 July 2020. The Evaluation Committee will determine from the Conference Technical Committee whether the applicant’s paper has been accepted by the reviewers. Therefore, applicants should not wait to hear if their paper has been accepted before submitting their application. The deadline for submission of the application is 31st May 2020). Should the applicant fail to submit a full manuscript by the specified deadline, the Evaluation Committee reserves the right to withdraw the provisional award and shall not be liable for any expense incurred by the applicant.
Please complete the application form and send it (together with the attachments mentioned above) not later than 31st May 2020 by email to:
Prof Mike Inggs: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof Harold Annegarn: email@example.com
Prof Peter Zeil: firstname.lastname@example.org