IGAD Climate Prediction and Application Centre (ICPAC) is looking for a Project Manager to Strengthen the Resilience of the IGAD region to the Adverse Impacts of Climate Change through effective Adaptation and Mitigation Actions (RICCAMA), a project supported under the Intra-ACP Global Climate Change Alliance Plus (GCCA+) Programme of the EU.
ICPAC is a specialized institution of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) mandated to perform climate monitoring and prediction to provide timely climate early warning information and supporting specific sector applications to enable the region to cope with various risks associated with climate variability and change.
The Project Manager (PM) will provide technical leadership for project activities including conceptualizing, implementing and monitoring of project activities. The PM will coordinate a technical support unit that will provide technical expertise in the areas of climate change action (adaption and mitigation). She/He will oversee the implementation of the entire project; guide and manage the project team and budget; represent ICPAC in regional meetings related to the project work; supervise the preparation/consolidation of reports, and represent the PMU in the Project Steering Committee.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead implementation of project activities within the project’s timeframe and budget.
- Provide regional technical advice to member states on climate change issues in partnership with relevant national institutions and partners.
- Coordinate implementation of IGAD Regional Climate Change Strategy (IRCCS).
- Coordinate assessment of member states’ climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies and priorities.
- Build the climate change technical capacity of member states to handle climate change issues in partnership with relevant national institutions and partners.
- Sensitize and enhance awareness of policymakers and other key players on IRSCC and assist the Member States to implement it.
- Coordinate preparation and implementation of regional climate change capacity building and training programmes.
- Coordinate the development of climate change knowledge and networking to support regional climate change mitigation and adaptation efforts in partnership with UNFCCC national focal points, NMHSs and all relevant institutions and partners.
- Enhance regional education and awareness on all climate change issues.
- Support regional and national climate change negotiation processes.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
• Master’s Degree with specialization in climate change. PhD is an added advantage
• Minimum of seven (7) years of work experience in regional coordination activities related to climate change.
• Practical working experience in climate change science, impacts/vulnerability mitigation and adaptation activities in a recognized national, regional or international institution.
Key Skills and Competencies
• Good knowledge of EDF procedures and project management.
• Good knowledge of the IGAD region and IGAD Regional Climate Change Strategy (IRCCS).
•Technical expertise in various aspects of climate change.
• Good coordination skills.
• Fluency in English and basic communication in French a requirement.
• Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
• Ability to prepare written reports in a clear, concise and meaningful manner
• Ability to work with minimum supervision
• Good knowledge of the international climate change agreements
• Knowledge of ongoing and planned regional climate change adaptation and mitigation efforts
Negotiable within the IGAD salary Scale and policy which is attractive based on the applicant qualifications and Experience.
The position will be tenable for one-year renewable up to three years subject to availability of funds and performance.
The Project Manager will be based in ICPAC Head Office within Nairobi Metropolitan Area.
Application deadline: 5 August 2019
How to Apply
Submit Cover Letter, Detailed Curriculum Vitae and Scanned Copies of Certificates by email
to the following Address by 5th August 2019 with the title of the position as subject:
IGAD Climate Prediction and Application Centre (ICPAC)
Kenya Meteorological Department Compound
Ngong Road, Dagoretti Corner
P.O. Box 10304 GPO 100 Nairobi, Tel (+254) 20-3514426,
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, copy email@example.com
Web site: www.icpac.net
Read the official announcement to learn more about the job and ICPAC projects.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.