Ethiopian Space Science and Technology Institute (ESSTI) is pleased to announce a call for research fund grant in line with selected thematic research areas which is applicable as of the budget year of 2019/20(2012 E.C). The research projects should incorporate thematic areas that improve the way space science, technology and application are being used for supporting innovation for the advancement of space science of the country. It is possible to team up from diverse disciplines from research institutes and universities for resolving challenges in space data usage in line with Ethiopia’s Growth and Transformation Plan II (GTP II) and sustainable development goals of the country.
Based on ESSTI strategic plan, the following thematic areas have been selected for 2019/20 call for proposals:
- Theoretical and computational astronomy and astrophysics (cosmology, stellar, galaxy….)
- Observational Astronomy
- Cultural Astronomy
- Remote sensing applications (agriculture, hydrology, vegetation, biosphere atmosphere interaction)
- Regional ionospheric modeling
- Geomagnetism and its application
- Coupling (lower- upper atmosphere, magnetosphere)
- Tropical Atmospheric Dynamics and Climate Science (Climate Extremes, Prediction, and Projection; Regional Climate and Impact Modeling)
- Hydrological Mass Distribution and Transport using integrated space geodetic techniques
- Geodetic application for Monitoring of geo-hazards and infrastructure
- Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) and space geodesy
- Space technology hardware and software development (CubeSat, UAV, space instrumentation, sensor, software, antenna, rocket, telescope,…)
- Funding Information
The institute will support up to two million Birr (624 USD) per each project proposal. Grants are solely intended for payments related to the research activities but do not include expenses associated with salary payments.
Projects will be funded for a period of one to three years based on project type and estimated project lifetime.
- Eligibility Criteria
Applicants from different research institutes, universities and private companies who are willing to submit proposals in the identified thematic areas are eligible to apply for funding. It is also advisable to collaborate with others including ESSTI staff. The principal investigator (PI) of the research projects must have MSc and above in the specific field in which he/she is applying for. However, the PI can also be a BSc holder in the case of technology projects depending on his/her experience and previous results.
- Selection Criteria
Project selection will be based on the following selection criteria:
- Alignment with thematic areas identified by ESSTI.
- Clarity of project outputs and their indicators.
- Project activities are relevant, realistic and contribute to the desired outputs.
- Project budget is in line with the listed activities.
- Experience and project management competences of the applicant(s).
- Project risks are properly evaluated, and solutions clearly stated.
- Interdisciplinary collaborations
All proposals should include a list of team members with their affiliation. project summary, introduction, objective, the significance of the study, clear methodology, expected output, possible risk(s), timetable, and budget breakdown. It is also mandatory to send Curriculum Vitae (CV) of the project PI with the proposal. Each applicant also must send a cover letter that specifies for which thematic project they are applying. The maximum length of a proposal must be 10 pages (excluding references), Times New Roman and 12 font size.
- Date of submission
All applicant can send their application including cover letter and full proposal until 14 February 2020.
- How to Apply
All interested applicant must submit their applications via email at the following e-mail address: Research@essti.gov.et
For any further information, please send your request to the e-mail included in this call and also visit the website www.essti.gov.et.