South Africa’s Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) and the country’s Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) invite applications for a bursary under the DST-CSIR Inter-Bursary Support (IBS) Programme grant scheme. The IBS postgraduate bursary is intended to finance full-time studies at any South African public University.
For master’s degree or doctoral applicants, the bursary support is restricted to the following research areas:
- Biotechnology (bio-farming, bio-processing or bio-catalysis)
- Indigenous Knowledge Systems (IKS)
- Information and Communications Technology
- Modelling and digital sciences
- Microsystems technology
- Titanium (manufacturing of elements thereof)
For applications in respect of Honour degrees, as well as fourth-year Engineering students or B.Tech students, you may apply if your major subjects are in science, engineering, and technology, with emphasis on the following disciplines:
- Biotechnology and related majors
- Computer Science
- Data Science or ICT-related majors
- Health (biochemistry, microbiology, pharmaceutical sciences, biomedical sciences, etc.)
- Information Systems
- Mathematics/applied mathematics/statistics
Value of the Bursary award per annum
- Honours: R 75,000
- Master’s Degree: R 100,000
- Ph.D: R 130,000
The eligible age for applicants is between 20 and 32 years of age.
Application forms and more information about the IBS postgraduate bursary can be obtained from the postgraduate funding office/research office of each of the public Universities. Please complete the application forms and send them (preferably in pdf format) with supporting attachment via email to the IBS Administrator at HCD-INTERBURSARY@csir.co.za
Feedback will only be sent to successful applicants within two months of the closing date of the applications. If you do not receive any feedback from us within two months of the closing date of applications, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Deadline: September 30, 2019