Digital Earth Africa is hiring a User Engagement and Training Manager for the new Africa-based Program Management Office (PMO) in Gauteng, Pretoria. Although the role will be based in Pretoria, flexible working options may be considered to promote geographical diversity. Reporting to the Capacity Development Lead, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for developing and maintaining the DE Africa training program, including instructional design, methodology, and delivery of training and optimisation. Also, the incumbent will work closely with the science, technology and communications teams, key stakeholders and external users across Africa to validate effective and efficient training plans. In addition, training delivery methods may include instructor-led courses, video courses, webinars, online courses, and one-on-one coaching sessions.
The position is suitable for an experienced professional in stakeholder engagement hoping to deliver and develop training content. Also, appointments to the DE Africa Program Management Office will be on a short to medium term contractual basis, subject to renewal based on performance and budget availability.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Engaging users to identify needs, requirements and additional use cases for DE Africa data, products and services;
- Supporting the training and capacity building program for DE Africa across partner institutions;
- Partner engagement and management to ensure objectives of each partnership are being fulfilled to expectations, including the development of additional partnerships;
- Supporting the operational establishment of DE Africa in Africa;
- Stakeholder engagement and outreach on the use and benefits of the DE Africa infrastructure;
- Identifying new applications, partnerships and innovations that can scale the use and uptake of DE Africa products at the country level for more effective decision-making and policy;
- Be available to present at workshops and conferences across Africa and internationally;
- Maintaining and promoting awareness of the DE Africa help desk and providing help desk assistance to users across Africa.
- Supporting the development of challenges and hackathons;
- Supporting the development of case studies and blogs about new use cases and innovation on the use of earth observation data to support development challenges;
- Tracking and maintaining an awareness of policy and other issues related to EO data;
- Following debates on data for development and cross-cutting policy issues regarding the implementation and monitoring of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- Promoting DE Africa through events and media channels and providing other communications and outreach support as required;
- Developing and communicating training status reports and other project presentation materials as needed; and
- Performing other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification;
- Knowledge of remote sensing principles and experience in working with time-series remotely sensed data and image processing/GIS software, including workflow development and scripting;
- Prior LMS (Learning Management System) eLearning background preferred;
- Proven experience in working with Earth Observation datasets or EO analysis platforms;
- Demonstrated ability of successful collaboration with stakeholders and clients, including internationally;
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work as an influential member of a team;
- An interest in the African environment and a broad understanding of processes that affect it;
- Demonstrated experience in working with the Africa Regional Data Cube or other Open Data Cube Community activities;
- Ability to teach and present to various students, including one on one sessions, group sessions and training to a larger audience (including providers) required;
- Demonstrated experience developing content, video courses, webinars, and online courses;
- Knowledge of curriculum development for adult learners and demonstrated proficiency in adult education and electronic/computerised training processes;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio, etc.);
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with technical, financial teams, end-users, and key stakeholders; and
- Experience running training and capacity building programmes.
How to Apply
Applicants are to note that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Furthermore, background verification, including criminal records, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks, as well as competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
In addition, DE Africa reserves the right not to make an appointment. DE Africa also subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities. Candidates will receive preference under this.
Applications will close on 4 April 2022; register your detailed CV and Cover letter here if you’re interested and meet the requirements. DE Africa will only communicate with shortlisted candidates. Consequently, applicants may assume their applications were unsuccessful if they do not get feedback after four weeks.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.