Communicating Astronomy with the Public conference is a platform for facilitating the exchange of ideas and best practices in science communication, outreach, and related aspects. Macquarie University in Sydney, Australia, will host the world’s largest conference on astronomy communication on the 21st–25th of September 2020.
Professionals from science communication, informal education, planetaria and science centres, as well as professional and amateur astronomers, journalists and creative types, are invited to attend the conference to exchange ideas and best practices. Under the central theme of “Communicating Astronomy for a better world: environment, culture, and peace”, the Scientific Organising Committee (SOC) is inviting proposals for oral presentations, posters, and workshops to be submitted online by 15 March 2020.
The topics for the conference are:
- Current Challenges in Astronomy Communication;
- Best Practices in Public Outreach;
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Empathy in Communicating Astronomy;
- The Media’s Role in Astronomy Communication;
- Using Multimedia, Social Media, Immersive Environments and other Technologies for Public Engagement with Astronomy;
- Astronomy and Climate Change;
- Astronomy Communication to Promote Peace;
- The Role of Astronomy in Bridging Cultures;
- Communicating Astronomy in the Asia–Pacific Region.
Participants will also have the opportunity to add their own topics for discussion during the event’s “unconference” slots.
Networking activities will encourage learning from peers, identifying potential partners, and strengthening the links between Asia–Pacific and international science communicators.
The SOC is also planning two special sessions:
10. The legacy of the IAU100 Celebrations
11. Communicating Astronomy: The IAU Strategic Plan 2020-2030
The International Astronomical Union will offer a small number of grants or fee waivers to selected participants from around the world.
31 January 2020
- Abstract submission opens;
- IAU Grant application opens;
15 March 2020
- Abstract submission deadline;
- Grant application deadline;
10 May 2020
- Grant winners announcement: Speakers and Poster Presenters notified.
The CAP 2020 conference is organized by the IAU Commission C2: Communicating Astronomy with the Public, in cooperation with Macquarie University.
- Abstract Submission;
- IAU Grant Application;
- IAU Commission C2 Communicating Astronomy with the Public
- Previous CAP conferences
- IAU CAP Conference Facebook page
- IAU CAP Conference Twitter account
- IAU CAP Conference mailing list
- Local Organizing Committee website
For inquiries regarding the scientific content of the conference or international media requests, please email firstname.lastname@example.org