The Office for Outer Space Affairs has been organizing a long-standing series of capacity-building workshops on space law and policy where 10 workshops have been successfully held since 2002 in cooperation with the Netherlands, Republic of Korea, Brazil, Nigeria, Ukraine, Islamic Republic of Iran, Thailand, Argentina, China, and at the UN premises in Vienna.
Building upon this series of workshops, in 2018 the Office moved on to a new phase in its capacity-building efforts, by a new series of dedicated United Nations Conferences on Space Law and Policy. The first Conference co-organized by the Government of the Russian Federation was held in Moscow, Russian Federation, on 11-13 September 2018. In 2019, a second Conference was held in Istanbul, Turkey, from 23 to 26 September and was organized together with the Government of Turkey, TUBITAK Space Technologies Research Institute (TUBITAK UZAY), Turkish Space Agency, and the Asia-Pacific Space Cooperation Organization (APSCO).
This year, for 2020, the Office will organize the Space Law Conference in cooperation with the Economic Commission for Africa from 8-10 December 2020 as a virtual event.
The objectives of the Conference will be to:
- Promote understanding, acceptance and implementation of the United Nations treaties and principles on outer space;
- Promote the exchange of information on national space legislation and policies for the benefit of professionals involved in national space activities;
- Consider the contribution of space law to economic and social development and the use of space-derived geospatial data for sustainable development;
- Consider trends in and challenges to international space law;
- Consider mechanisms for increasing regional and international cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space;
- Consider the development of university-level studies and programmes in space law, with a view to promoting national expertise and capacity in this field;
- Discuss novel areas in which international space law could provide potential legal models to balance divergent interests of States.
Date and Platform
Dates: The Conference will be held from 8-10 December 2020
Venue: The Conference will take place online via MS Teams
Registration for the Conference must be received by Thursday, 3 December 2020, through this form.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.