The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) has a mandate, as outlined in the South African National Space Agency Act, 2008 (Act No 36 of 2008), to co-ordinate and integrate national space science and technology programmes and conduct long-term planning and implementation of space-related activities in South Africa, for the benefit of the citizens of South Africa.
The ideal candidates will have:
- A Ph.D. obtained within the last 3 years (or will be submitting their Ph.D. thesis for examination before February 2020)
- Ph.D. should be in space physics-related field or is a support field to space physics (such as Computer Science or Applied Mathematics)
- Preference will be given to candidates who would like to pursue space weather research for their postdoctoral projects in areas such as navigation and/or communication applications, and radiation exposure due to space weather events
- Independent computer programming skills with a preference for Python
- The ability to work independently and as part of the team
The candidate should be:
- A South African citizen
- Available to start the contract before 1 April 2020
Duties (not limited to this list):
- Research in a space weather research-related field
- Data Analysis and Modelling
- Intern mentoring
- Contract research
- Science Advancement
Projects will be tailored to individuals, depending on skills and interest and are not limited to any specific topic mentioned, however, applicants must fit into the space science thematic areas.
Communication will only be conducted with short-listed candidates. If applicants do not receive any notification within 4 weeks of the closing date, they must assume that their applications were unsuccessful
Please NOTE that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Should you meet the above requirements, please apply by logging in here. Attach your detailed CV including a copy of Doctoral Thesis Abstract and Ph.D. certificate (if already received).
The first shortlist date will be 10 December 2019. Should the positions not be filled by CVs received on this date, then CVs received after this date and prior to 15 January 2020 will be considered.