The South African National Space Agency (SANSA) is looking to recruit two trainees that will undergo 24 months of training at the Space Operations programme situated in Hartebeesthoek, Gauteng. The trainees will be exposed to satellite ground station operations, including rendering Earth–Observation satellite data acquisition services to SANSA’s Earth observation directorate. In addition, the successful candidates will also learn how to provide Tracking, Telemetry and Command (TT&C) support and satellite monitoring services to a host of international space agencies and satellite operators.
Key areas of learning will include but are not limited to:
- Operate, maintain and monitor antenna systems, Radio Frequency (RF) and electronic equipment associated with satellite ground station operations;
- Participate in TT&C operations which involve the rendering of ground segment services to SLVs (Satellite launch vehicles), including launch, Transfer-orbit support, Launch and Early-orbit, and In-orbit test operations;
- Provision of Operations and Maintenance services to SANSA-owned and customer-hosted systems, equipment and infrastructure; and
- Ad-hoc project work and the opportunity to work on or add value to new or existing projects, systems and processes.
The ideal candidates will have the following qualifications and skills:
- Three-year Diploma in Electronic Engineering qualification with good academic results;
- Coursework in Telecommunications and satellite communications will be an added advantage;
- Graduate in search of Internship training to gain work experience;
- A good understanding of microwave principles, applications and telecommunications;
- Proficient in English language and good communication skills;
- Computer literacy and basic proficiency with MS Word and Excel;
- Must be able to use both hands and have good vision; and
- We are in a remote area with no access to public transport. Therefore, applicants need to have a valid driver’s licence and reliable transportation to and from work.
Applicants are to note that the appointment will be on a level commensurate with qualifications and experience. Furthermore, background verification, including criminal records, credit checks, security clearances, qualification and citizenship checks, competency assessment and psychometric testing, may form part of the selection process.
In addition, SANSA reserves the right not to make an appointment. SANSA also subscribes to the principles of Employment Equity and welcomes applications from all persons with disabilities. Candidates will receive preference under this.
Applications will close on 20 May 2022; register your detailed CV and Cover letter if you’re interested and meet the requirements. SANSA will only communicate with shortlisted candidates. Consequently, applicants may assume their applications were unsuccessful if they do not get feedback after four weeks.
Click here to get real time data and information on every Segments and players in the African space and satellite industry.